Monday, August 28, 2006

Concepts?


I just downloaded the new Justin Timberlake (illegal I know, but I couldn't resist) and on first listen I am very into it. Impressed with the beats and overall sound of the record, good dance tunes that are great to work out to it is just FUN. However, when I was lifting weights at the gym today I was struck by (drumroll please) how dismal even the best of pop music is right now. I say that as if it comes as some sort of surprise but when someone who grew up today starts saying "they just don't make them like they used to," there is a problem.

No one should take this as me saying that I don't like his album because I really am a sucker for catchy pop. However, when you have people like Sufjan Stevens, Feist, and Regina Spektor out there singing about ACTUAL emotions in an educated way, how has this type of pop music become so huge?! Of course, its universal with its simple lyrics, catchy beats and glossy videos but is Justin's "Future Sex/ Love Sounds" the closest thing we have to a mainstream "concept" album? "Gee Justin, what were you trying to accomplish with this CD?" "Well I just wanted to make it about....sex and stuff." I hate how hypocritical I am being, demeaning the success of these artists yet eagerly downloading their CD before the actual release. I've been brainwashed I tell you! I can tell the difference but cannot resist its calling!

Sufjan does concept albums with his 50 State Project, The Who did it with "Tommy" and many others have accomplished it. In modern times though, the closest mainstream success there is would be Green Day's "American Idiot." While a great album, even that in my opinion it isn't a true "concept" album. The more I listen to the Justin CD I am struck and confused by how EVERY SINGLE SONG is about, a. an attempt to have sex, b. an attempt to woo a girl or c. a combo of both. It gets BORING! In the times that we live in with so much happening around us politically, will no mainstream singer take a risk and have a voice throughout it? Unfortunately I think that the answer is a resounding NO. The only group I can think of is the Dixie Chicks and look at how they have been shut out due to their voice. Ugh, I don't feel like I am able to get my thoughts out in an articulate manner today....oh well.

Of course there is a place for club pop but would it hurt these artists to create some art for maybe just ONE track on their CD? Or even just sing about something other than sex, love, sex, love....

Have a listen for yourself to one of the songs, "My Love."

GO TO THE NEW SITE!!!! THE RANTING DETAILS! CHANGE YOUR LINKS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home