Saturday, October 28, 2006

Songs YOU need to download. 10/26/06

















I am back in an obsessive music purchasing phase. On top of searching for music to choreograph to, I am craving music like it's crack.

Knock 'Em Out-Lily Allen
Everything's Just Wonderful-Lily Allen

This is some new music from the British Gwen Stefani, Lily Allen. Somehow all British music sounds fairly cheesy to me but there is no denying that this is enjoyable happy pop with a sarcastic edge and clever lyrics. I mean an album that begins with "When you first left me, I was wanting more. But you were fucking that girl next door. What did you do that for?" Can't be half bad right? Gotta love the Brits.

"On The Bus Mall"-The Decemberists
"The Crane Wife 3"-The Decemberists
This is a band that I have been trying to push on all of my friends and it isn't quite working. Lead singer Colin Meloy is one of my good friends' brothers and a lyrical genius. He takes every approach BUT the conventional one, sprinkling his surprisingly catchy songs with words like "barbs, bayonets, threadbare" and so on. Slightly different than the "bitches and ho's" approach to music recently. Their new album is different and a little more mainstream but brilliant nonetheless.

"Cellphone's Dead"-Beck
"We Dance Alone"-Beck
Two songs from his fantastic new album.

"Opus 17"-Marie Antoinette Soundtrack
"Concerto In G"-Marie Antoinette Soundtrack
Ewww. I can't believe I just endorsed something from that awful movie. I can feel my fingers burning as I type this. No denying its a GREAT soundtrack though.

And now for a new section "Songs That I Feel Kind of Guilty Enjoying"

"Wind It Up"-Gwen Stefani
Let's get one thing straight, I am a HUGE Gwen Stefani fan. Ever since the days of "No Doubt" she has been one of my favorite artists because what she lacked in vocal talent she made up in originality. Her first solo album was a departure from the quality of "No Doubt" but it was insanely fun and addictive which was a new road for her. I cannot wait until her next album comes out (Dec. 5th) but this new single is kind of disappointing. The first time I listened to it I couldn't believe she was using a "Sound of Music" sample and barely singing throughout. With lyrics like "I know you think he's fine and stuff, but does he know how to wind you up?" things were looking bleak. A weird mix of "Hollaback Girl"-ish beats and "Rich Girl" I hate to admit that it's growing on me. Damn her!


P.S. Does anyone even read these music posts? Leave a comment and let me know because I don't want to keep posting them if no one wants to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home