Monday, October 23, 2006

My Brain Is Snowed In. Pun Intended.


Let me just get the problem right out in the open; I am having a hard time not being too literal with the music. Perhaps that sounds a bit strange but let me attempt to explain.

I am in the midst my preparatory thoughts of creating the Snow Pas de Deux for my friend Jackie and I and its proving to be a bit difficult. My first instincts are to follow the music like a grid but what I really want to accomplish is the creation of another melody through the dancing. I don’t want to BE the music I want to react to, and have the music react to, my movements. As I begin to create, sometimes I cannot tell whether or not I am creating my own melodies or not because the steps merge with a music in a way that they all become one. Sitting here listening to the mystical Tchaikovsky music over and over again has a bit of a dizzying effect, not unlike a snow flurry!

For inspiration tonight I have been watching Balanchine’s “Jewels.” This is something I am very hesitant to do but journeying to this new world of partnering choreography is forcing me to reach out for any flickers of inspiration I can get. While reading my de Kooning book I came across this quote that discusses the subject of finding inspiration from other artists. “Everything is already in art, like a big bowl of soup, and you just stick your hand in, and find something for you. But it was already there, like a stew.” This book seems to be chock full of inspirations with every page turn.

It also brings to mind another quote by Stephen Sondheim, “The prettier the flower, the father from the path.” I feel like I will be able to achieve something more if I don’t just follow the guidelines pulsing into my ears. It prompts understanding in people who choreograph without music, something I had once thought unfathomable.

I can’t even begin to describe my anticipation for making this Snow pas come together. I have always loved dancing with my friend Jackie but it is going to be a bit surreal dancing my own choreography with her. I just have to have patience with myself, something that seems to have jumped off the cliff in recent weeks.

The picture above has nothing to do with anything in this post. I’m too lazy to even try to tie it in! I just took it from the wings the other day and enjoy its movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home