Sunday, November 12, 2006

Vagueness. Part of a Healthy Balanced Breakfast.


How adaptable should a person be? As a dancer I find that people are constantly saying the more versatile you are, the more successful you will be. This seems like an obvious statement, as you should allow yourself to be malleable by all types of movements and their creators. When it comes to yourself socially though, how versatile should you be? At what point do you have to stop being universally acceptable and stay true to the person that you are?

That was a lot of questions to begin with and I will not attempt to answer all of them, as I do not have bolts of lightening inspiring me at the moment. As the years roll on and friendships come and go I can’t help but look around and wonder why some end while others endure. Blame cannot always be pinpointed to one person or the other but often I hear generic phrases such as “we just grew apart,” without any real analysis of why. As Twyla Tharp and Bob Dylan have so dutifully informed us, “The Times They Are A Changin,” but why and how?

Socially people often identify as “butterflies,” meaning they flutter around and seemingly get along with everyone. The image of a butterfly also brings up thoughts of metamorphosis and part of being a “social butterfly” is the ability to transform to a given group. I feel that sometimes people become a bit personality-less when taking on this position because in actuality you cannot please everyone; it just isn’t possible. Yet time and time again we all try our damnedest to make it happen.

Keeping track of yourself throughout the insanity that is buzzing around all the time is difficult to say the least, yet I have faith that it is possible; you just have to. It all brings to mind that Ayn Rand mentality of “live by your own standards.” Those standards may always be changing but I hope that I am conscious enough to be questioning what they are at all times and maintaining my integrity.

Whether it is who I am as a dancer or a person I want to be nothing if not aware of these things, some times are just more difficult than others. Finding the balance of malleability and stability is tough but I have no doubt as I look out to the illuminated windows of the matchbox apartments nearby, other people are struggling with the same things. This was your weekly vague blogging action….enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home