Sunday, July 16, 2006

Romeo Portraits.

To begin the first of a couple of blogs devoted to the end of "Romeo and Juliet" and the Met season I wanted to share a couple of portraits I took of people yesterday. Fatigue had officially set in (I say that as if it hadn't before yesterday) but people still showed the camera some love and here are my favorite pictures of the day.

(Bystrova's fingers shimmer in anticipation of the grand finale)

Usually the final day of Met includes excitement as we dance our final steps of the season knowing that we have had a successful 8 week run. Last night was one of the most somber ends I have witnessed (of the three) because it is the first time we are having a lot of people leave the company. I think most of us don't realize how much of a family we are until a person announces they're leaving. Also their leaving doesn't really become reality until the curtain is about to go up on their final act with the company.

(Flavio prepares to do his final sword fights)

Total we have about ten people leaving this year and more than half of those are from the corps. As I rode home in my taxi last night I was hit by the fact that things will be very different. Now maybe I was more emotional because I had put on a certain playlist that is all emotional music for the soundtrack of my life, but I think it had just really hit me. One of the boys from my dressing room row is departing and as minor as that sounds, it seems like a huge change for us. Since I have been in the company I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by the best of company on my row which is really important. We are always there for each other and our sense of humors just mesh. Even through our differences we have had more good times than bad and next year will not be the same without one of our members.

(Benvolio, aka Jared, guzzles some water between acts)

It was a moment of reflection for a lot of people in the company, soaking in the fact that even the most minor of people you come into contact with really do affect your life and who you are. I will miss the small inside jokes I have with people, or even the awkwardness I have with others because that is part of what I know and who I am.

(Kristi puts the meat-hook to new use)

So I tried to spend the day documenting what it is like to be in the company at this very moment with these specific people because nothing will EVER be the same once the moment is gone. I got as many pictures as I could because while you can never really relive the moments you experience, it never hurts to have a reminder of the ones that have passed. Can Kodak endorse that?!

(Roman shows us his Lord Capulet dramatics)

(Arron readies himself for battle)

(Alex, having already battled in act one, shows his "Scar" from Lion King scar)

(Hidalgo takes a minute to reflect on the stairs)

(Sascha gives the camera some final Tybaltian intensity as the season closes)

1 Comments:

Blogger Delirium Tremens said...

I enjoy your backstage photos so much. Great fun. I'm sorry the season is over and there wont be more of them (well I'm also sorry it is over because I don't get to go see any more performances!)

I'm sorry to hear so many performers are leaving...I am dying to know who they are, but I know that its probably not ok to release that info yet.

The one person I know is leaving is Erica Cornejo. I am sorry she is leaving, but am glad that she's going on to be a principal at Boston Ballet, where her husband also dances. I hope the others that are leaving have good things in the works as well.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home