Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The "Light" Is Out.


As Met is winding down I have recently had to accept the ending not only our season but also of a neighboring production. Housed at the Vivian Beaumont Theater “The Light in the Piazza” is one of the most incredible theater events I have ever seen in my lifetime. I realize that is a very heavy statement but it is one that I can say with certainty.

Every morning as I stroll into the tunnel that holds both of our stage doors I get to look to my left and see this (pictured above) array of shots from this breathtaking show. Just about every single aspect of this show was stunning from the sets and costumes to the entire original cast. Most of all though was the incredible book and score that were pushing musical theater forward into a realm I had never seen before. Part opera, part musical theater the score stands out as one of the most complex and stunning pieces I have ever had the chance to hear live. I saw this show not just once but twice (as well as on TV when it aired on Great Performances last month) and each time it grew into something I never could have imagined it being the time before. As a study of an actor there has been no one better for me than the Tony Award winning Victoria Clark. She does more with silence than I have ever seen anyone do with 1000 words. You can describe emotion as much as you want but until you as a performer FEEL the emotion the audience just will not get connect. Viewing the show again on TV even closer than in the theater enhances the idea that Victoria Clark has control of every minute detail of her face. Every single body part down to her eyelashes knows exactly how to be in the moment day after day after day.

Being in a ballet company I notice a vast difference in the acting skills not only in between ranks but within the ranks. I always get the sense that we all feel a little silly sometimes but when I watched “Piazza” I was amazed at how I felt like I had been transported to 1950’s Italy. When watching the chorus members walk or bike around the stage everyone has such a sense of purpose that as an audience member I felt like I was watching the most intimate conversations at all times. It’s a level I can only hope to reach in my performing career.

I tried (and failed most times) to get every person I knew to go and see this show but knowing that it is gone now I feel so sad that I will never get to see it again. I urge anyone who has a passion for musical theater or opera for that matter to buy the cast recording as soon as possible. There really is nothing like it.

3 Comments:

Blogger GreatMartin said...

You can always follow it around on tour like I did with A Chorus Line in the 70s and 80s--saw it 100 times in NYC, Atlantas, Memphis, Dallas, St Louis, Miami, Miami Beach, etc.
By the way the Pizza tour will be here in Miami in September as part of the new performing arts center opening.
http://greatmartin.blogster.com

7:34 PM  
Blogger SEPOY said...

great pic dude......
if u have some more

email me at shantisagarkoneru@gmail.com

11:45 PM  
Blogger Anonimo said...

I saw Patti Cohenour as Margaret. I thought the show was okay but wasn't blown away by it as I had hoped to be. Later, I saw Victoria Clark on Great Performances. With Victoria Clark as Margaret, The Light in the Piazza was an entirely different show. She brought a whole other level to her performance. She was amazing.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home