Friday, July 14, 2006

"Fable"


I am just bumming around this morning and got an email from a friend alerting me to the fact that some of "The Light in the Piazza" is on YouTube. So I thought I would check it out and share a little bit. This clip is the final number in the show and besides being one of the most beautiful orchestral pieces I have heard at the theater, Victoria Clark's performance is legendary. Now for those that don't like musical theater that read this blog, my guess is you will hate because it's not a "Defying Gravity" and out of context it might not make the most sense. But for those of you who do, enjoy it! The last moments are so beautiful.

I love the lyrics in this song especially the use of the title in the sense that "love's a fable." My favorite lyrics would have to be

Love's a fake.
Love's a fable.
Just a painting
On a ceiling
Just a children's fairy tale.
Still you have to look,
and look,
For the eyes on the bridge in the pouring rain.
Not the eyes but the part you can't explain
For the arms you could fall into forever.
For the joy that you thought you 'd never know
For here at last away you go
To a man who looks for you.

I wish I could articulate a feeling as clearly as that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home