Thursday, May 11, 2006

Honesty.


How is that we all go through lives without being really honest with each other all the time? People often take offense by hearing honest opinions when really it should be the other way around shouldn't it? Take for example a little scenario I was talking through with the girls of the corps this morning. Within the corps we should all be completely honest with each other and patrol each other. The way the corps is presented is the way we are ALL presented. One person being wrong lessens the entire product that we are working so hard to create. Yet when you walk around rehearsal and say you notice that so and so was doing the wrong arm during a certain part they often look at you like you have just run over their dog. This has to stop, not only in rehearsal but in life. Its just wasted energy.

I just got off a phone call with a friend where we just laid everything out on the table potentially avoiding a fight. In my recent past I would have turned to the next person and vented my frustrations for an embarrassing amount of time; wasted time. Instead we just need to tell the person that they are bothering us. Vent to them instead of some third party. Am I getting a little too preachy? Methinks so. If you are disappointed with someone or frustrated with someone....be HONEST. I hope that my friends are always honest with me about it. Otherwise what's the point? Does honesty just spurn insecurity? At first it may seem that way because its a much more vulnerable position to speak your mind than to bitch behind someone's back. Then you realize that you are being a coward and should be more insecure about that.

In other news...work is back in full swing. I have got to get myself in top shape but it seems that all of the company is a little manic at the moment. California had all of us feeling like we couldn't dance and then here we are back at home, back in comfort and suddenly things start to get better. BI-POLAR! Met is about to get into full swing but should provide some good pics for the blog. Always exciting. Speaking of, here is a picture I took on the subway the other night messing around.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anonimo said...

I completely agree. Speaking generally, I often wonder what goes on in rehearsals (possibly too few rehearsals?) when everyone in the corps seems to be doing their own thing, lines aren't straight, arms are all over the place. (A pet peeve of mine is the Dance of the Cygnets from Swan Lake. I'm not saying it's easy, but surely there must be a way for the Cygnets to synchronize their head movements so that they turn their heads at the same time and the same amount and all focus on the same points so that there isn't a wide variation in direction and movement as there often is, but I digress...)

I understand what you mean about the "you just ran over my dog" look, but some people think only the director or stage manager (not sure of the dance equivalents - choreographer, repetiteur or coach?) can give corrections, i.e., an authority figure, or someone above them in rank, but not someone of the same level. I personally welcome corrections in a rehearsal situation especially from friends, as I expect many (most?) of the corps are friends.

Have you considered how you offer corrections? Your tone of voice and demeanor can have a big effect on the person's reaction.

I agree with the honesty thing too. People, in general, waste a lot of time and energy lying to one another.

I'm a lousy liar. But there are times when being truthful can just cause pain and really serves no purpose. I think it depends on how close you are to the person.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home