Wednesday, May 17, 2006

28.


Here is sonnet 28. of Shakespeares. Might take a couple of times to get into it, but its beautiful.

How can I then return in happy plight
That am debarred the benefit of rest,
When day's oppression is not eased by night,
But day by night and night by day oppressed,
And each, though enemies to either's reign,
Do I consent shake hands to torture me,
The one by toil, the other to complain
How far I toil, still farther off from thee?
I tell the day to please him thou art bright
And dost him grace when clouds do blot the heaven;
So flatter I the swart complexioned night,
When sparkling stars twire not, thou gild'st the even.
But day doth daily draw my sorrows longer,
And night doth nightly make grief's length seem stronger.

Tonight I was searching around in a new book of Shakespearean sonnets that I bought in Orange County. As I flipped through the pages finding them filled with talk of love and loneliness there were so many that were beautiful (as if I needed to say that) but this one really stuck out. Something about the imagery that he creates with the personification of day and night is so unusual with the way they almost come across as tyrannical rulers of ones self. I know it can seem that way at times for everyone but I feel like this just captures the pain so vividly. Oddly enough I am in a great mood tonight! Nice to be able to admire the anguish of this without having to feel it first hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home