Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Final Week of A Legend.


Having been in the company now for three years, I have had the opportunity to witness some of the most amazing dancing imaginable. Some of my most enjoyable memories being in the company have been standing on stage with legends like the principal dancers of American Ballet Theatre. I will never forget my first moment on stage doing Warriors in "La Bayadere". I walked out onto the Met carrying a staff and all I had to do was bow. Immediately I was overwhelmed by the cavernous space filled with people but even more so by the fact that Jose Carreno was standing a mere two feet away from me. I realize that it isn't exactly "cool" to get star struck in the company, but there are moments where I think all of the dancers have to pinch themselves just to make sure its real.

Those moments have been coming very frequently lately as Julio Bocca enters his last week as a principal dancer. Since I have been in the company Julio hasn't been touring with us much but the shows that I have been able to watch were incredible. The artistry and passion that flows out of him at every moment is overwhelming. On top of that he is an incredible person and has been nothing but kind during any interactions I have had with him. As we sat in the basement of the Met the other day rehearsing "Manon" I watched as the entire company became enraptured by his rehearsal with Alessandra Ferri.

Usually in rehearsal there are slight murmurs going on as the girls sew points shoes, people stretch, or talk about choreography. The minute that Alessandra and Julio stood up to dance everyone else sat on the floor in awe as they rehearsed. Pas de deux after pas de deux the company froze to watch these legends show us the epitome of art on a Thursday afternoon in the Met. This wasn't a performance but the feeling was there, intensity between these two artists who have grown together through the years. I cannot imagine the feelings that must be flooding through the two of them as Julio's final performance creeps up. All I know is that he will be missed. As they finished their pas' the other day the entire company cheered and applauded like it was a performance. Even when they were ready to move on, the company still kept applauding. It was such a special moment.

I will be forever sorry that I missed the special moment I am going to talk about next. Even though I was not there to witness it I get chills just thinking about it. Last night was Julio's last "Giselle" and at the end of the ballet he managed to bring the entire corps of girls to tears. Usually at the end of "Giselle" the curtain comes down on Albrecht at the foot of Giselle's grave. Last night however Julio stood at the foot of the grave, carefully removed his ballet slippers and laid them at the foot of the grave. Then only in tights, he slowly backed away from the grave, looked up towards the lights and turned and walked off as the curtain came down. Bidding farewell to Giselle in his own special way. I am almost brought to tears just typing this and I wasn't even there! As Stella relayed the story to me during class this morning I found myself covered in goosebumps. I can only imagine what his final show next Thursday will be like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anonimo said...

I agree. It was an incredibly moving moment. And to think I almost exchanged my ticket for a different performance. At the time, I hadn't thought about it being his last Giselle. I'm so glad I kept my ticket. It was a beautiful evening.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home